2008 Honda CRF450R Features & Benefits
09/05/2007 - Torrance, Calif. -
Honda's championship-winning CRF450R continues as one of the most versatile motorcycles in the world, earning Cycle World magazine's "Ten Best" status six years in a row.
Features & Benefits
New for 2008
* New tapered exhaust head pipe improves low-end and midrange power.
* New lighter counterbalancer shaft and drive gears.
* New works-type multi-map CDI system uses a transmission gear-position sensor to provide specific ignition maps for First gear, Second gear and Third through Fifth and produce the optimum power curve in each gear.
* Rev limit of 11,270 rpm has increased 50 rpm.
* Friction-reducing coating on the clutch basket, clutch center and pressure plate improve clutch life and clutch feel.
* New Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD). Developed by Team Honda, this lightweight, compact steering damper improves cornering ability and reduces rider fatigue.
* New fork triple clamps with 22mm offset for improved cornering.
* New Showa fork features a larger cartridge rod and new cartridge oil piston for improved oil flow and less friction, plus stiffer springs for improved mid-stroke action.
* New rear shock valving matches changes to the fork.
* New works-style front and rear brake discs reduce unsprung weight.
* New Black color (2008 special color†).
* Powerful engine churns out 55 bhp at 9000 rpm and 36.9 lb./ft. of torque at 6500 rpm. Power is produced across a wide rpm band for easy-to-control operation.
* Liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® 449cc engine produces more than 120 hp per liter (see Technology Section).
* Lightweight titanium intake valves permit use of smaller valve springs and reduce overall engine height.
* Forged slipper piston is more than 4.5 ounces lighter than a conventional design.
* Lightweight Nikasil cylinder lining provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
* Auto decompression and hot restart system make starting easy in all conditions.
* 41mm FCR carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
* The capacitive discharge ignition system (CDI) features an 8-bit digital CPU for extremely accurate ignition and maximum performance.
* Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil and reduces the amount of circulating oil and minimizes oil pump size.
* Exhaust system features a titanium header and heat shield. The repackable silencer is aluminum with a stainless steel connector pipe.
* Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
* Eight clutch plates provide the surface area necessary to handle the engine's massive torque, while carefully matched clutch springs provide a light feel at the lever.
* Fourth-generation Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame with forged-aluminum steering head (see Technology Section),
* HPSD features a compact damper attached to the lower triple clamp and the steering head to allow more aggressive steering characteristics and assist straight-line handling. Damping action smoothly progresses as handlebar deflection increases, which produces very natural steering characteristics and feel.
* Front and rear wheels feature HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples.
* Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
* Rear axle diameter of 25mm and large-diameter bearings provide significant rigidity to withstand torturous track conditions.
* Revised, sophisticated Inverted Twin-Chamber Cartridge Fork (see Technology Section).
* Pro-Link Rear Suspension (see Technology Section) with new damper settings.
* Large 50mm rear shock damper piston diameter for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
* HRC works-style rear brake system integrates the rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the separate reservoir and hose.
* Link-type front brake master cylinder and a lightweight brake rotor provide strong braking.
* Large works-style 240mm front and rear disc brake rotors.
* Frame design allows sidecovers to have larger air-intake ducts, contributing to significant airflow increase in the mid- and upper-rpm ranges.
* Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider's legs at the narrowest part of the frame for improved comfort and handling feel.
* Brake pedal and shift lever are designed to complement the riding position.
* Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master-cylinder design.
* Wide, cleated stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning and corrosion resistant, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
* Rear brake pedal and shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum.
* Adjustable front brake lever for maximum control.
* Quick-adjust clutch perch for easy cable adjustment.
* Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
* Handlebar holders provide two different mounting positions to match rider preference.
* Works-type handlebar grips add to rider comfort.
* Dunlop 742FA front and 756 rear tires for improved traction and cornering.
* Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
* Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
* Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
* Repackable silencer for maximum performance and minimal noise.
* Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
* Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
* Honda Racing™-inspired colors and graphics.
* Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details. design allows sidecovers to have larger air-intake ducts, contributing to significant airflow increase in the mid- and upper-rpm
†Limited color run, less than 500