2008 Honda CRF250R Features & Benefits
09/05/2007 - Torrance, Calif. -
Innovative design has made Honda's dual-muffler CRF250R the winner of Transworld magazine's 250cc four-stroke "Motocross Bike of the Year" for four years in a row.
New for 2008
* New piston with 13.1:1 compression ratio
* New cylinder head porting for improved power
* New lighter-weight valve train components raise rev limit to 13,500 rpm
* New lighter counterbalancer shaft and drive gears.
* New exhaust system for more power
* New camshaft timing for added power
* Revised carburetor jetting gives smooth power delivery under all riding conditions
* Engine torque now reaches maximum at 8500 rpm.
* New clutch features judder spring for smother engagement.
* New Honda Progressive Steering Damper (HPSD). Tested by Team Honda, this lightweight, compact steering
* damper improves cornering ability and reduces rider fatigue.
* New fork triple clamps with 22mm offset for improved cornering.
* New Showa fork features a larger cartridge rod and new cartridge oil piston for improved oil flow and less friction, plus stiffer springs for improved mid-stroke action.
* New rear shock valving matches changes to the fork.
* New works-style front and rear brake discs reduce unsprung weight.
* New rear fender shape for improved mud protection
* New larger left-side engine guard
* New Black color (2008 special color†)
* Powerful four-stroke 249cc liquid-cooled four-valve Unicam® engine (see Technology Section).
* Lightweight titanium intake valves permit the use of smaller valve springs and reduce overall engine height.
* ACG cover, clutch cover and cylinder-head cover are made of magnesium to reduce engine weight.
* Forged 13.1:1 compression, slipper piston and rings are lighter than a conventional design, revving quickly while maintaining excellent cylinder sealing and high-rpm power.
* Lightweight, compact, internal, auto decompression system and handlebar-mounted hot-start system provide superb operation, hot or cold.
* Lightweight Nikasil cylinder lining provides cooler and quieter operation for extended engine life.
* 40mm Keihin FCR carburetor features four rollers on the flat slide, resulting in light throttle effort, smooth operation, crisp throttle response and excellent rideability.
* Carburetor features a throttle position sensor (TPS) that helps maintain a linear throttle response throughout the range and new jetting for smoother power response.
* Twin-sump lubrication system separates the oil supply for the crankshaft, piston and valve train from the clutch and transmission. This ensures a cool supply of oil to the clutch, eliminates clutch and transmission material contamination of the engine oil, and reduces the amount of circulating oil, which permits the use of a smaller oil pump.
* Dual-muffler exhaust system centralizes mass and reduces turning inertia to improve the lightweight feel of the bike.
* Dual-muffler exhaust system also increases low-rpm torque.
* Exhaust system uses a lightweight stainless header and repackable aluminum mufflers.
* Gear-driven balancer reduces vibration and drives the water pump.
* Rugged eight-disc clutch and carefully matched clutch springs for light feel at the lever.
* Durable five-speed close-ratio transmission.
* Fourth-generation Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame with forged-aluminum steering head (see Technology Section)
* HPSD features a compact damper attached to the lower triple clamp and the steering head to allow more aggressive steering characteristics and assist straight-line handling. Damping action smoothly progresses as handlebar deflection increases, which produces very natural steering characteristics and feel.
* Front and rear wheels feature HRC works-type lightweight aluminum spoke nipples.
* Front wheel features large-diameter front axle and wide wheel-bearing span for excellent rigidity.
* Large 25mm rear axle diameter and large-diameter bearings provide significant rigidity to withstand torturous track conditions.
* Revised, sophisticated Inverted Twin-Chamber Cartridge Fork (see Technology Section).
* Pro-Link® Rear Suspension with new damper settings (see Technology Section).
* Large 50mm rear shock damper piston diameter for consistent performance under demanding riding conditions.
* Link-type front brake master cylinder and a lightweight brake rotor provide strong braking.
* Compact twin-piston front brake caliper, anodized-aluminum brake pistons and lightweight front brake disc minimize unsprung weight for improved turning and handling.
* HRC works-type rear brake system integrates the rear master-cylinder and fluid reservoir, eliminating the separate reservoir and hose.
* Large works-style 240mm front and rear brake discs.
* Frame design allows airbox sidecovers to have larger intake ducts, contributing to significant airflow in the mid- and upper-rpm ranges.
* Rider ergonomics are optimized by adapting the handlebar, seat and footpeg height to place the rider's legs at the narrowest frame width for improved comfort and handling.
* Dunlop 742FA front and 756 rear tires for improved traction and cornering.
* Front disc brake cover helps protect rotor and caliper from damage.
* Removable rear subframe allows easy maintenance.
* Washable, two-stage foam air filter for optimal engine protection and easy maintenance.
* Comfortable, durable controls and high-quality fasteners.
* Stainless steel clutch cable for long life.
* Honda Racing™-inspired colors and graphics.
* Cleated rear brake pedal and folding shift lever are made of lightweight aluminum and are designed to complement the riding position.
* Brake pedal features optimized ratio to match integrated rear-brake master-cylinder design.
* Wide, cleated, stainless steel footpegs are self-cleaning, resist corrosion, provide excellent grip and fold for extra ground clearance.
* Aluminum Renthal handlebar (971 bend) is rubber-mounted to help reduce rider fatigue and improve comfort.
* Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Rider's Club of America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
†Limited color run, less than 500